It is very easy to get stuck in a pattern of negative thinking. Negative and distorted thought patterns can be unhelpful and detrimental to us. The next time you get stuck in a negative thought pattern that causes distress, ask yourself the following questions:
1. Am I falling into a trap of negative thinking? (i.e., catastrophizing, projection, mind-reading, all-or-nothing thinking, etc.)
2. What is the evidence that supports this thought?
3. What is the evidence that DISPUTES this thought?
4. What would I tell a friend if he or she had this same thought?
5. Am I confusing possibility with probability?
6. Am I 100% sure that it will happen? Has this happened before?
7. What is the worst that could happen?
8. Is this thought based on an interpretation, or is it based on logic and facts?
9. How else could I view the situation? An alternative perspective?
10. If it did happen, what can I do to cope with or handle it?